The Green Elephant is a spot in Kingston that I have driven by many times but have never managed to stop and go in.
Today, I went in.
It was only about 11:30 and I was shocked at how busy it was. Well, maybe not shocked-I’d heard good things about the place. I was lucky to get a seat, though. Service was practically immediate,considering how busy it was.
I was greatly tempted by the Caesar wrap-one of my favs, but thought I’d crawl out on a limb and try the ‘Green Elephant Salad’ -romaine, bacon, apple, cranberries topped with feta cheese and served with triple berry dressing on the side. I also had some chicken thrown in.
It was a huge salad. And good. The dressing was perfect for those who like a tartness to their salad. A bit more chicken would have been nice.
The servers were smiling and helpful and although I passed on dessert, that was just for a small second because I succumbed to the lure of the humongous vegan cookies. Total of salad plus cookie and tax-$19 and change
Being awarded Valleys Best Cafe 2017,2018 & 2019 is no small feat in a region where you can throw a rock and hit 5 good eateries,Click To Tweet but it helps when one is consistently thinking how to make their restaurant bigger and better-they now have a liquor license , added a dogie patio,and are serving dinner on Friday and Saturday evenings.
I will go back. They serve breakfast after all and I love breakfast out. And I may even try the Caesar Wrap.
Update: We did go back for breakfast-and it was yummy
What You Need to Know About the Green Elephant Cafe
- Find it at 687 Main St, Kingston NS
- The menu includes Vegetarian Friendly, Vegan Options, Gluten Free Options
- Open Sun 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m; Mon – Thu 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m; Fri – Sat 7:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- They take reservations-call 902-765-8558.
- All ages seem to enjoy the Green Elephant Cafe-I saw seniors, couples, travelers and kiddos there-although there s not a children’s menu per se.